WEBSITE USE AGREEMENT
Please note: Parent and/or guardian and their child are referred to as the “Users” in the text.
Description of Service
- The ScribJab web site and iPad application is for educational, personal and non-commercial use only and is meant to serve children and teachers in the creation of multilingual stories.
- Anyone can read books, but only registered Users can create digital stories and participate in a monitored forum.
- Parents and/or guardians may guide their children through the story creation process.
- The web site may not be used for any other purpose, unless written consent is obtained in advance from the web site operators.
- Photos cannot be used for creating stories.
Member Registration / Account Obligations
- When a User registers for an account on ScribJab, he or she is required to provide accurate and complete information which includes: their name, their city / country, and their parent’s or guardian’s email address, when necessary.
- During registration the creation of a username and password is required.
- The web site is password-protected and the User is responsible for keeping his/her password secure and notifying the web site operators of any breach of security and unauthorized use of his/her account.
- ScribJab is a space to share and communicate and will not allow Users to
- Upload, post, create or link to content that is threatening, harassing, obscene, pornographic, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, content advocating illegal activities or harm to others; or files with viruses.
- Impersonate any person or entity
- Upload, post or make available copyrighted material. See Copyright Policy for more information.
- Upload, post or link to photos.
- Interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service.
- Under no circumstances will ScribJab be responsible for any loss or damage, including any loss or damage to any User content, resulting from anyone's misuse of the web site or application, any content posted on or through the web site/application, or any interactions between Users of the web site/application. Content is posted on the site at the User’s own risk.
- ScribJab does not warrant that:
- The service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free
- The results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable
- The quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations
- This Agreement continues until terminated by either ScribJab or the User.
- ScribJab reserves the right to refuse access to the Service to any person at any time for any reason in its sole discretion.
- ScribJab may terminate this Agreement and the User’s account, deactivate the User’s account and delete any content that the User may have posted on the Site and/or prohibit the User from using or accessing the Service or the Site for any reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice.
- A User may terminate this Agreement and their use of the site by deleting their user account in account settings. After termination of a user account the user will no longer have access to their account and all information contained therein will be deleted.
- For children 19 and under, ScribJab requires parental consent for registration to use the web site. When a child registers, he/she must provide a parents’ or guardians’ email address. Then the parent or guardian will receive an informed consent letter requesting approval for his or her child’s use of the web site.
The personal information collected
- When a User requests to contribute to the web site, the personal information he/she voluntarily provides consists of name, city and country and parents’ or guardians’ email address.
Personal information will be used for internal use only, in the following ways:
- To identify usage: We will store the information on a secure server and use it to identify the number of visits, average time spent on certain activities, pages viewed, and so on. This information is useful for improving the operation of the site and promotional update of site content
- To contact Users for research/educational purposes: The information Users volunteer as well as what is represented through the works they upload can provide valuable data for educational research regarding multilingual literacy and related issues. If the operators wish to conduct research and need to collect information other than that required for registration, they will contact you again and explain what other information they might require and how it might be used. Users are free to decline permission at any point.
ScribJab Intellectual Property
- The ScribJab application, including images, marks, logos, designs, software and other content contained therein and the selection and arrangement thereof are the proprietary property of ScribJab or its licensors and are protected by Canadian and international copyright laws.
User Intellectual Property
- User Content submitted to ScribJab is protected under the Creative Commons: the Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivs 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-NC-ND3.0). This license stipulates that User Content posted on ScribJab is free for others to copy, distribute and transmit the work as long as the author is credited. The work may not be used for commercial purposes and the work must not be altered or modified. The symbol of this license will be marked on the storybook. Upon registering to use ScribJab, the User must agree to the terms of this license.
Intellectual Property Rights of Others
- ScribJab respects intellectual property rights.
- As a User and/or parent/guardian of a registered User of the site, you represent and warrant to ScribJab the following:
- The User is the sole author and copyright owner of User Content s/he contributes to the site
- Such User Content does not infringe upon any third party rights (including but not limited to any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, other intellectual property rights, moral rights, privacy rights or publicity rights)
- Such User Content does not violate any applicable laws, regulations, or contain any false statements or misrepresentations
- You have the written consent, release, and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person, or the owner/author of any objects or work in such User Content to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person, object or work, to enable inclusion and use of such User Content in the manner contemplated by the Service and this Agreement.
- You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Simon Fraser University and ScribJab, (including its sponsors, fund providers, and affiliates), and their respective directors, officers, employees, and representatives, from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, losses, deficiencies, costs (including reasonable legal costs on a solicitor and own client basis), expenses, liabilities and administrative proceedings made by you or any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this agreement, including, your use of the site, the services, the content, intellectual property, your submissions, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party. Simon Fraser University reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and you shall cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any such claim.